Nordic Marine Insurance Education Programme
Intermediate level - one year part-time
Cefor Academy offers a Marine Insurance Education Programme aimed at professionals in the marine insurance and ship operating industries.
The objective of this pan-Nordic programme is to provide students with the basic skills necessary to do their daily job in a relevant field within marine insurance. Main focus will be on practical competence. A Certificate will be presented upon completion.
The programme is taught on a part-time basis over one year. There will be six compulsory sessions of three-day seminars combining the use of lectures, individual/group exercises and class discussions. The programme is taught by experts in the industry.
Lectures are held in Oslo, Gothenburg and Copenhagen.
The study will demand active and committed participation from the students. Employers must permit students a certain degree of self studies during work hours for the final home assignment in addition to participation during lectures. The Certificate of Completion will only be issued to students participating in all six sessions and upon passing of a final home assignment (applicants accepted to the programme will have the opportunity to review dates for all six sessions prior to confirming their enrollment in May).
The programme offers a comprehensive approach to marine insurance, including:
- Business context (historic review, legal and political framework, role of marine insurance in shipping, types of cover, market conditions)
- Maritime Law (basic principles, types of liabilities)
- Marine Insurance Law (Nordic Marine Insurance Plan of 2013 – Part 1, marine insurance acts)
- Underwriting and Risk assessment (H&M, builder's risks, LoH)
- Marine claims (claims handling, salvage, adjusting, general average)
- Protection & Indemnity (IGP&I, pollution liability, personal injury liability, cargo liability, FD&D and other liabilities)
- Offshore Energy, War Risks and Cargo Insurance
- Loss Prevention
After attending the programme students have achieved:
- A comprehensive understanding of relevant terms and conditions in marine insurance as well as the principles behind them.
- A good knowledge of where to find them.
- Knowledge and skills to interpret them.
- An understanding and appreciation of the integrity needed to gain trust in marine insurance and see the total implication of this in practice.
Students should be involved in marine insurance issues through their daily work. This requirement includes employment by insurance companies, shipping companies, charterers, insurance brokers, law firms, maritime authorities and classification societies.
The course is recommended for insurance experts with one to three years' work experience within the field. Basic knowledge of marine insurance is needed through an introduction course and/or a minimum of six months work experience within the field.
Students must be able to follow lectures in English and participate in English speaking activities.
|Cefor members:||NOK 25,000|
|Non-Cefor members:||NOK 35,000|
|Duration:||1 year part-time: August – May|
Application deadline for the 2019-2020 programme was 15 April 2019.
To enquire about available seats or be notified once registration to the 2020-2021 opens in February/March 2020, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.